Call Now: 0800 777 360
Mob/Txt: 021 877 504
Can My Carpet Be Saved?
A stained or damaged carpet can be stressing. Water damage from flooding can be detrimental to your carpet. Depending on how long the water stays put, the fibers can be damaged completely. However, carpet cleaning can still be done and there are instances when your carpet can indeed be saved.
How to Deal with Carpet Water Damage
There are two case scenarios with water damage:
- Black Water Flooding
- Clean Water Flooding
Clean Water Flooding
This could be due a broken water pipe or the rain. Whatever the case, time is of the essence.
- Remove all furniture away from the carpet and stop all unnecessary traffic on the carpet. The extra weight strains the carpet.
- Begin extracting all the water immediately. You can use a wet/dry vacuum cleaner to remove the excess water.
- Remove the carpet from the house to prevent floor damage. Rolling it up is the easiest way to remove it.
- If the carpet is firmly attached wall to wall and you cannot remove the carpet without damaging it, it is best to call a carpet cleaning Auckland professional.
- If you do manage to remove the carpet, place it outside where it can dry completely. Then use your preferred carpet cleaning method.
- Remove the tack strip from the carpet to allow the carpet to dry faster.
Black Water Damage
This is basically any water with sewage contents, water that is dirty from the ground or even sea water. This kind of water damage can be hazardous and therefore requires skilled carpet cleaning expertise. Whenever such water damage occurs, precaution must be taken and evacuation must be conducted immediately.
- Call a carpet cleaning Auckland expert for assistance.
- Wear protective clothing such as boots, rubber gloves and goggles before removing any furniture from the room.
- Dispose of anything that may have been lying around the carpet before the flooding occurred. This includes toys, utensils or even pieces of clothing. Put them in a polythene bag and dispose it immediately.
- Remove the furniture and place it outside. This makes it easier for the carpet cleaning Blockhouse Bay specialists to remove the carpet before major floor damage occurs.
Carpet Cleaning Tips
Whenever you have water damage on your carpet, it is always advisable to call a carpet cleaning professional to help you deal with the damage.
Do not try to force out the carpet if it is difficult to remove. This may cause unnecessary damage to the carpet.
Respond to the water damage within a day or two to deter the growth of mold.
To sum it all up; if your carpet has had clean water damage then yes, it can be saved. When it comes to black water damage, this will depend on how long it took before you called carpet cleaning Auckland help and what type of black water caused the damage. If it was sewage water, I doubt you will want that carpet saved.